What's the Church for?

What’s the purpose of the church?

I tend to believe that Acts 2:42 could possibly be considered a purpose statement for the church: "They devoted themselves to the apostle's teaching and to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer."

According to this verse, the four purposes/activities of the church should be;
     1) teaching biblical doctrine
     2) providing a place of fellowship for believers
     3) observing the Lord's supper
     4) an to praying

1. The church is to teach biblical doctrine so we can be grounded in our faith. Ephesians 4:14 tells us, "Then we will no longer be infants, tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here and there by every wind of teaching and by the cunning and craftiness of men in their deceitful scheming." And in 1 Peter 2:2 Peter encourages them crave and hungry after the word, “as newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the word that you may grow thereby.”

Hebrews 10:25 is a perfect word for us to learn when it comes to coming together and exhorting one another, “not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching.” 

2. The church should be a place of fellowship, where Christians can be exemplary in,
     a. (Romans 12:10), be devoted to one another and honor one another
     b. (Romans 15:14), instruct one another 
     c. (Ephesians 4:32), be kind and compassionate to one another 
     d. (1 Thessalonians 5:11), encourage one another and most importantly,
     e. (1 John 3:11), love one another

3. The church is also to be a place where believers can observe the Lord's Supper, remembering Christ's death and shed blood on our behalf (1 Corinthians 11:23-26 “For I received from the Lord what I also passed on to you: The Lord Jesus, on the night he was betrayed, took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, “This is my body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of me.” In the same way, after supper he took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me.” For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes”).

The concept of "breaking bread" (Acts 2:42) also carries the idea of having meals together. This is another example of the church promoting fellowship. Potlucks on the grounds after service. A great time to talk and enjoy spending time with other believers.

The final purpose of the church according to Acts 2:42 is prayer. 

4. The church is to be a place that promotes prayer, teaches prayer, and practices prayer. In Philippians 4:6-7 Paul encourages us, "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

Another commission given to the church is proclaiming the gospel of salvation through Jesus Christ (Matthew 28:18-20 “Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” ‭Acts 1:8 “But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth”‭). 

The church is called to be faithful in sharing the gospel through word and deed. The church is to be a "lighthouse" in the community, pointing people toward our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. The church is to both promote the gospel and prepare its members to proclaim the gospel (1 Peter 3:15 “But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander”).

Some final purposes of the church are given in James 1:27 NIV: "Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world." The NKJV says, “If anyone among you thinks he is religious, and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this one’s religion is useless. Pure and undefiled religion before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their trouble, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world.”

By biblical teaching and Christian fellowship. The church is to be about the business of ministering to those in need. This includes not only sharing the gospel, but also providing for physical needs (food, clothing, shelter) as necessary and appropriate. The church is also to equip believers in Christ with the tools they need to overcome sin and remain free from the pollution of the world.

So, what’s the purpose of the church? Paul gave an excellent illustration to the believers in Corinth. The church is God's hands, mouth, and feet in this world “the body of Christ” (1 Corinthians 12:12-27). We are to be doing the things that Jesus Christ would do if He were here physically on the earth. The church is to be "Christian," "Christ-like," and Christ-following.

You can become a follower of Christ this very moment. And you can live your life demonstrating these very activities and purposes of the church. After all, we are the church. The body of Christ Paul spoke of. Would you say yes to Jesus today? Would you allow Him into your heart? If so, pray this prayer and believe it!
 
Heavenly Father, I come to You admitting that I am a sinner in need of rescuing. Right now, I choose to turn away from my sin and I ask You to cleanse me of all unrighteousness.

I desire to be set free right now. And I ask you to forgive me. I believe that Your Son Christ Jesus died on the cross to take away my sins. I also believe that He rose again from the dead so that I might be forgiven of my sins and made righteous through faith in Him.

I call upon the name of Christ Jesus and confess Him to be my Lord and Savior of my life. Jesus, I choose to follow You and ask You to fill me with the power of the Holy Spirit.

I declare that right now I am a child of God. I believe that you have forgiven me. I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me (Gal. 2:20). I am free from sin and full of the righteousness of God. I am saved in Jesus name. Amen.

If you prayed this prayer to receive Jesus Christ as your Savior, I welcome you to the family of God. From this moment on, start learning how to live a life of faith by finding a good Holy Spirit filled, Bible taught church so that you can grow in your faith as you walk the pathway to Christ. Write to me and share your story of faith, let me know that you said yes to Jesus you can email me at LifesWordMinistry@gmail.com

I would also like to take this time to say those of you for partnering with us by sowing a financial seed into this ministry regularly. Your generous giving allows us to share the gospel throughout the world. If you’re not a partner and would like to sow into this ministry you can do so by going to PayPal.me/lifeswordministry

Be sure to pick up a copy of my new book Pathway to Christ available on Amazon. Or if you would like a personally autographed copy you can go to PayPal.me/malachi660/12 and you will be put on the list. We will even pay for the shipping. And be sure to subscribe and follow us.


Comments

Popular Posts

The Power of an “I Will” Spirit

Just Say Yes!

Step up and Step Out!